The establishment of the Birgittiner convent in approx. 1446 resulted in the rapid sprouting of trade and craft industries. Mariager is called the “City of Roses” and is an idyllic town with cobblestone streets and old timber-framed houses. The town abounds with shops, fine restaurants and lodging establishments. The town’s history is also recounted at Mariager Museum and is evident in the impressive Abbey Church.